Monday, September 28, 2009

College Life Update and some surprising things that challenge a person's Conservative upbringing

Well this is now my second month of college and it's going pretty well except for my financial woes. I have fortunately found a well paying job, but not quickly enough to avoid my eventual late payment next month. I will make just enough money from this job to get by in college. I mentioned in the title some things that challenged my Conservative upbringing and this is it. While I will not say that racism has no effect in societal judgement, I have found something that I think has a greater effect. That thing is money. All my life I have heard rich and not so rich Republicans talk about how anyone can make it well in life, you just have to work hard and get good grades. Well what they are not considering is what happens when working hard(at a job) starts to compete with getting good grades. I am experiencing this right now. I have a job that will pay me enough to get by in college with very little debt, but I am making a HUGE time sacrifice in order to do it. This sacrifice can and at some times will cut into my study time, which will affect my grades. While I am making this sacrifice, others around me who are carying on the family tradition of triple majoring and being a doctor, have no money woes at all. Not only do they have their tuition payed for them, mommy and daddy give them spending money. And these kids are the ones out partying and p***ing away the amazing opportunity they have. How disgusting is that? I'm over here busting my butt, sleeping little, and worrying constantly while they have the time to go get drunk and be involved in all kinds of different things. And even with all that, they still have more free time for studying than I do. It all adds up to a simple thing: Money, while not the definitive factor, does play a HUGE!!!! role in how far you can get in life. Not all the people who choose a route like mine will make it, I don't even know if I will make it. But if I had the opportunity that the kids with rich parents do, I would make darn sure I was putting out a 4.0 and making something good out of myself. Some people just have no grasp of reality.

1 comment:

Mercedes said...

Amen. I'm fortunate enough to have my parents at least partially covering my college fees this year, but I'm suspicious that I'll be paying for all of my education. And I know that if I want to keep my scholarships, I need good grades.

And I see other folks who aren't concerned, because their parents pay for their college, and buy them computers and clothes and cool stuff and give them spending money...

You're right, money is a big deal. Especially when you don't have it.